Saturday, April 5, 2008

Nancy's Vision of Kamloops


On Monday, April 7 at 10:00 am, the public and press attended a coffee social hosted by some of my friends. The event was held at the Smorgasbord Deli, 225 – 7th Avenue, Kamloops, BC.

At the social, I declared that I will running for as candidate for council in the November 2008 Kamloops municipal elections.


At the coffee social shared my vision of Kamloops and future plans.

Here's what I said:

As co-founder of "Save Public Waterfront", I've have also been an organizer of a host of community events including recent talks by Percy Schmeiser, Wendy Mesley, Diane Youdell and Malalai Joya. I also organized last year's Sierra Club New Energy Film Festival in Kamloops and coordinated International Women's Day events. I am on the board of the Big Little Science Centre, Kamloops Heritage Society, Kamloops chapter of the Canadian Information Processing Society, TRU Faculty Association executive, and the Kamloops CIBC Run for the Cure organizing committee. I am equally well known as "Banjo Nancy" for playing at the Kamloops Farmers Market and local seniors' residences.

My goal is to make Kamloops a top 10 city in Canada. Top 10 for economic diversification. Top 10 for retaining and attracting young people. Top 10 for servicing the needs of our seniors. Top 10 for building a strong sense of community.

I have the experience to back up my vision.


For ten years, I worked as a software engineer and meteorologist on projects around the world for MacDonald Dettwiler (known for its Radarsat technology). I then gained hands-on experience in advanced wood manufacturing by working for five years for Salmon Arm's Coe Newnes McGehee as a project manager and product manager for sawmill equipment. For the last seven years, as a member of Thompson River University's Career Education Department, I have worked with thousands of employers across western Canada. I have worked directly with the mines, mills and petroleum sectors that are key to Kamloops' economy.

Through my role at TRU, I have worked with hundreds of young people. To keep our economy thriving, Kamloops needs young people. Not only does Kamloops have to retain the young people that are here, it needs to attract the two fastest growing groups of younger workers: new immigrants and First Nations.

By 2013, over 27% of Kamloops' population will be over 65. It is fastest growing segment of our population. Kamloops needs a comprehensive policy framework for seniors' issues, including housing, safety and taxation.

One way I want to strengthen community is to support and encourage the formation of more community groups such as Friends of MacDonald Park and the Schubert Drive residents' association. Kamloops is a spread out city. Whether you live in Rayleigh, Barnhartvale or Brockelhurst, you need to feel that you're getting value for your tax dollars. Friends of MacDonald Park did an excellent job of advocating for their neighborhood. When citizens have a group that represents their common concerns, they feel more empowered going to city hall with their concerns. When neighbors know their neighbors, Kamloops is a safer place too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home